Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Unbelievably, I slept at 10.15 yesterday. If you don't know me, I'm the girl who doesn't sleep unless it's after 2 in the morn.So,this morning I woke up at 7 and I was still extremely sleepy. I can't believe it,9 hours of sleep and I haven't got enough? Gosh, I'm getting old.

Anyway,I had to drag myself out of bed because I had to accompany my grandfather to the hospital for a check-up. We left the house at 8.30. His appointment was at 8.45. Early right? I mean, we'd be whizzed into the doc's office and whizzed out again in no time right? As i was later meant to discover, I could not have been more wrong. There I was, reading a book, while the nurse calls out names over a crackly,disfuntional microphone. At last, I hear my grandfather's name. I rush to the counter, only to have the nurse, very arbitrarily order me back to my seat, saying, I'll call your name when it's your turn. Desperately, I try to explain, but she cuts me off. Promptly ignoring me as if i was a gnat on the wall, she screams my grandfather's name into the microphone again. Suddenly,she looks at me and understanding dawns. Giving me a glare, as if to say "why didn't you tell me" she smacks a card into my opened palm. I look at the card and my heart sinks. It was a waiting number. What? More waiting? Dejectedly, I go back to the seat I was occupying next to my grandfather and sat down while the machine-thingie with the red numbers pings endlessly. The number in my hand was 13. The number on the teller was 9. Oh, not a long wait, my heart jumps with joy. The next number pings. Number 49. What??!! There's something wrong here. Why are the numbers jumping here and there and everywhere? I look towards the burly nurse and change my mind about going up there to inquire. So, 2 and a half hours crawls by like that. It's rather like playing bingo you know. A number's called, you wait in anticipation, and then your heart sinks when you realise it's not yours. At last, number 13 is called. yay !So, I take my grandfather in. I see two lady docs there. They're nice, pretty. One asks my grandfather to sit down.

Doc: So, uncle, how are you feeling? Fine? No problem? Good, I'll see you in 3 months time.

What??! We wait for 3 hours and that's all? Anyway,as if I haven't already made a fool of myself, as we're leaving the examination room, I hear footsteps rushing after me. Turning around, I see The Nurse behind me. Oh no. She stops right in front of me and waves a white card under my nose.

Nurse: Girl, didn't you hear me asking you to wait? What were you doing? dreaming?

I can only stutter an unintelligible response. I mean, in all honesty, I swear I didn't know she was talking to me. I mean, there were two doctors and two patients in the room. How in the world would I know she was referring to me to wait when she said "tunggu ya"..sigh.

Anyway,reached home at 11 something and the phone was ringing. I dash for it but it had stopped by the time i reach it. Knowing it must be Kim, I dialled back.

Kim: Hey, wanna go out to Parade at 11.50? I'll come around and pick you up.

O.K. The mad rush began. I took a quick shower, in which I accidentally used the wrong shampoo and in a panic, splashed freezing cold water over my head.
Luckily, the rest of the day passed uneventfully. Right now, I'm sleepy again. So guess I'll log off now.

No comments: