Thursday, September 17, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Humans are a selfish lot, so selfish in fact that it’s disgusting. Yes, I mean you and me. All of us. And if you think this post is a product of crazy hallucinations, then maybe you’re right and you can stop reading here. I know a lot of you would disagree and argue that this is in fact a way of life. The survival of the fittest and all. But have we sat down and thought about it? I mean REALLY think about it?
What do we study so hard for? What do we work so hard for? Why do we want to be better than our neighbours? Spur our children to be bigger, better, greater? It all boils down to three people. Me, myself and I. We want a better future .. for ourselves. We want greater fortunes…for ourselves. We want grander glories and worldwide fame…all in the name of narcissism.
Have we thought how selfish all this is? In the pursuit of self glory and fame, do we ever spare a thought for the people who have no food, no clothes, no families, no roofs over their heads? Children who go to bed with the sound of bombs dropping overhead and who write letters to Santa not asking for shiny new bikes but that their fathers would return home from the war ? Children who are thrown into the harsh, weather beaten road and forced to fight wars that adults wage? Adults who should be caring for them.
There are people who are told they have 2 weeks to live. There are wives being abused, women being deprived of rights that should be theirs. There are children being forced into arranged marriage at ages where they should still be playing with dolls, not REAL babies.The environment is crumbling around us. There’s global warming and animals being driven out of their homes all for human development. And in it all, we ask…but what about ME?
The rich only want to get richer, and the poor want more than anything to get out of the slums and make it big. The thing is there’s SO much we can do in order to change things. You see, the thing is, if everyone started caring for the people beside us, we don’t even need to care about ourselves, because others would care about you. Imagine the whole world just caring about everybody else. But we don’t. Because it’s the road less taken. Because it’s a road that has no attractive end, no lucrative perceived gains. Because it’s the road that has nothing for me, but everything for others.
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Monday, September 07, 2009
Sunday, September 06, 2009
Friday, September 04, 2009
Today's Smile-Inducer : Love. Yes yes, it's that much talked about elixir to eternal happiness, miracle drug for every ailness and the essence of all twirly, sparkly things...
- When my grandmother had arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore, So my grandfather does it for her, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love - Rebecca, 8
- When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.You just know that your name is safe in their mouth - Billy, 4
- Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other -Karl, 5
- Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French Fries without making them give you any of theirs. - Chrissy, 7
- Love is what makes you smile when you're tired - Terri,4
- Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen. - Bobby,7 (My favourite)
- Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well. - Tommy, 6
- My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night.- Claire, 6
- Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day. - Mary Ann,4
- I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her clothes and has to go out and buy new ones. - Lauren,4
- When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you. -Karen,7
Thursday, September 03, 2009
The Good Girl walked a treacherous line, balancing mixed messages about how far she should go and how strong she should be: she was to be enthusiastic while being quiet; smart with no opinions on things; intelligent but a follower; popular but quiet. She would be something, but not too much.The Bad Girl was outspoken (speaks her mind ) and self-possessed (proud), a risk taker (rule breaker) and critical thinker (artistic, rebel, doesn’t care what people think). She was comfortable being in charge (center of attention). But she was nothing if not an outcast, an example to Good Girls of what happened when you strayed from the program."Prone to becoming estranged from their inner lives .... [The Good Girls] are so busy living up to others’ expectations that they either don’t develop or eventually relinquish their own goals. They are so focused on achieving external emblems of success that they don’t get the chance to figure out what really excites them and gives them pleasure. They barely know who they are or who they want to become."Full article here
Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Walk by faith where sight is dim;
Loving God, be calm and trustful
And leave everything to Him. —Chambers