Monday, November 07, 2011

Subtraction

She was 15, and had no idea how to subtract 145 from 2001.

Every time I spend time with these kids, I'm humbled. Humbled by how eager they are to learn, how patient they are with me when I muck up simple questions. Most times I come back in a concoction of small joys, humility, and a little pinch of guilt. 


" WIll you be able to handle subtractions in your next test now ? " 
*bright smile, gleeful nod

Perhaps these are my little rewards. I'm humbled that I have the opportunity to witness the disbelieving joy these children display when they 'get' simple concepts that I've taken so callously in the past. I may have sat her through hundreds of questions on subtraction, but these little experiences taught me how to subtract the negatives in life which in turn subtracts the power that negative thoughts could potentially have on me.



" For I know the plans I have for you." declares the Lord. " Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future " - Jeremiah 29:11

3 comments:

suituapui said...

Yes, pull...don't push. Educate, not teach them. Students today only want excellent grades - learning is the last thing on their minds in their frantic chase for that piece of paper. Real sad...

Elin said...

I am glad that you are truly a blessing to these children. God see and will reward. A momsie can be said to be proud when her child is doing community work and have love for these adorable children. God bless you always ! We are PROUD of what you are doing right now...serving the less fortunate and I Cry for joy each time I think how helpful my Piggy gal is ! PTL :) Hugs and Muax....think of the time we are going to have together soon !!!! Yay ! I can't wait for the day to come !

Quay Po Cooks said...

You are so wise at this young age! I am humbled by what you wrote:D