Friday, December 18, 2009

Just Friends


Picture from : theenglishmuse.blogspot.com
Spend life with who makes you happy. Not who you have to impress - Anon

Let's talk relationships tonight. Always a sticky line, more taboo than most care to admit, let's venture into the wild and risky shall we?

There is this thing about Asian cultures, especially amongst the conventionally traditionally conservative pack (phew, lots of adjectives there), that a girl and a boy can never be just friends. The thing that I don't get about these people is why be so hypocritical? Why read so much into nothing? Why draw your own conclusions, be the director of your own self-indulgent fantasy and hurt the people around you whilst you carry on in your own stupidity?

Gossiping, spreading false 'truths', passing on vindictive lies, boys behaving like girls. What are we in? Pre-school again? No, scratch that, I think even 5 year olds have better powers of deduction that some grown adults.

Maybe it's just me. I'm basically a really open person when it comes to stuff like this. I have made a couple of really good guy friends over the years. Nothing romantic just good, solid, friendship. I actually think that guys, despite some having the innate ability to be total jerks in relationships really have the potential to be really sweet when they do put their minds to it. It is here that I remind myself not to let the minority cloud my thoughts on the majority :)

It may be to my own sorry case that I can't keep my opinions to myself. I just hope that people will stop being so judgmental. So, boy-girl,in platonic relationships ... fact or fiction? Truth or myth? I don't know. You tell me.

p.s : I would really like to thank all you guys who have left me such sweet comments in the previous post. I value them very much. It's the holiday season. I should really stop being so angsty. From this post on, cheerful cheerful :) Promise!

6 comments:

suituapui said...

"Spend life with who makes you happy. Not who you have to impress" - Anon

I agree with this 100%...and I do not think we should bother about the typically Asian (Chinese) tendency to try and impress others by pretending and being pretentious - saving face or what they call the kiasu syndrome. Just be ourselves - I am what I am and what you see is what you get!

conan_cat said...

well that's pretty true, many of us like to spread gossips and rumors whenever they see a guy and a gal walking together. like, woot! what's wrong with having a girl/boy friend? :/

while sometimes it can be fun, when it gets out of hand it can really be a pain in the ass. damn right.

prashant said...

Just be ourselves - I am what I am and what you see is what you get

Work from home India

Anonymous said...

Fact. I have male friends whom I regards as my brothers. Nothing more than that.

Elin Chia said...

I am so HAPPY that you now know how to spend life with who makes you happy and not who you have to impress. I agree wholly with STP. he is the most natural person I have met :)) Just be yourself and you will be much much happier. Like me :p

Joanna said...

Suituapui : Definitely. Life's too short to waste time on trying to be someone you're not just to impress others.

Conan_cat: exactly ! Gossip-mongers are people who lack a life of their own so they end up nosing into someone else's

Cleffairy : I'm glad there's still hope out there :P

Elin : Teehee. It's a new year, new me