Sunday, April 12, 2009

I've aged!! by a year.............



I've aged... and unfortunately it's not my birthday. Last Friday was Good Friday and the church was having a Pot Bless event. It was an interesting, touching, thought provoking event and I had many interesting conversations, particularly one with a little girl. I had invited The Boy to come along, and this little girl had never seen him before. She's about 10 years old, and really sweet. I realized her looking at me with this weird expression and after a while, she beckoned me to her side. Tugging my sleeve, she asked me 

"Is that your boyfriend?"

And she looked pretty scandalized when she said

"I didn't know you had a boyfriend......" followed by 
"But how old are you??" in a stage whisper

Playing along, I asked her to guess. She scrutinized me and after a long while, she shrugged and said "Sixteen!"

If I wasn't used to answers like these I would have choked on my potato salad. But lo and behold...I've aged! And being very much female...I should be outraged but I'm a little more tickled than need be. People used to think I'm 15 and some even younger. So in the span of a few months, I've aged an entire year. I owe all thanks to Mr EC *le sigh*. As for The Boy, he's alright with dating a mynah minor for the time being. 

 

So, here's the virtual million dollar question....how old do You think I look? (Mum's worried I won't get a job coz I look like I need more protection than others...boo hoo) 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Let me share with you George Carlin's Views on Ageing

Do you realise that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about ageing that you think in fractions.

'How old are you?' 'I'm four and a half!' You're never thirty-six and a half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead.

'How old are you?' 'I'm gonna be 16!' You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16! And then the greatest day of your life .... . You become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony. YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!

Zhen Yuan said...

Lol. Happy Birthday Jo.

Joanna said...

Anon : LOL! G.Carlin's one controversial man. Too bad there'a often an iota of logic in controversy.

Zhen Yuan: Sniffles, don't get back at me for calling you *cough* grandpa..*scurries away*..my birthday's still months <-- plural away, Till then, I shall still be a sweet young thing :P