Thursday, April 16, 2009

A few of my favourite things

When I was all of 5 years old, I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. 

Photo from www.dailymail.co.uk

You know the way children have to hear the same bedtime story, listen to the same lullaby, and watch the same movies Every . Single . Day? Well, my childhood addiction happened to be 'The Sound of Music'. That, and Hot Cross Buns. Oh, and it wasn't enough that I forced both my parents to sit down and watch with me, most times, I made them sing along....(it's good to know some things don't change...)

I decided to relive my childhood today and watched it again for what must be the hundredth time, and I realized how the show took on different perspectives every time I watched it at different stages of growing up. 

At 4 years old, I thought the songs lovely
At 5, the dances intriguing
At 6, I scraped my knee dancing along to "I am sixteen, going on seventeen"
(You gotta watch the show to understand why the dance is perilous....I'm not that bad a dancer, but then again, maybe I am)
At 8, the clothes preeeettty
At 15, I thought Captain von Trapp the ....... man ever (don't laugh!)



On the eve of my 16th birthday, I listened to "I am sixteen" 
and again on the last day I would ever be 16..

It was only when I grew into my double digits did I find out that the show had indeed a fantastic storyline. That is, after I stopped fast forwarding to all my favourite parts..Today, I learnt to appreciate the dialogue. Witty one-liners. Sarcasm-infused rebuttals and tear-jerking proclamations. Here's a taste :

When the children return after sneaking off to the abbey

"We went picking blueberries!"
"Ah,I see.. blueberries....uh, it's too early for blueberries...."
"Actually...they....they were strawberries! It was so cold they turned blue"

Here's why The Captain's one of my favourites (sarcasm can be so very becoming..)

Herr Zeller: I've not asked you where you and your family are going, Nor have you asked me why I'm here
Captain von Trapp: Well, apparently, we're both suffering from a deplorable lack of curiosity

Oh, and another

"Perhaps those who would warn you that the Anschluss is coming-and it is coming, Captain-perhaps they would get further with you by setting their words to music."
" If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section"
" You flatter me, Captain."
"Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you." 




And this makes me smile

Max : The von Trapp Family Singers, Here are your names : Leisl, Friedrich, Louisa, Brigitta, Kurt, Marta and Gertl
Gertl (youngest at 5) : Why am I always last?
Max : Because you are the most important..

Ah, The Sound of Music...a many splendoured thing...

Ok..am I the only oddity who thinks the show's
deliciously romantic.....
[leave a note if you do too =)]


No comments: