Sunday, April 23, 2006

Simple Pleasures

If there is something I'd like to tell you, it'll be "You are loved" - Rebecca St. James


Most of the finer things in life are often misinterpreted. Sometimes, it's the little things that make up the big picture. Simple, everyday things in life that we often take for granted.

There was this saying, by Helen Keller, if i'm not mistaken, which goes, "I thought I was unlucky because I had no shoes, until I saw a man with no legs. " How true. More often than not, we indulge in self-pity but we fail to think of the many others out there who are underprivileged. I should be happy that I'm able-bodied, that I'm able to breathe without needing the assistance of machines. That I don't need to pray and hope and suffer just for the next breath. I should be happy that I'm protected from all the awful things happening out there. That I don't live in a war-torn country, that I'm able to have access to the Internet, the window to the world, that I have the comforting warmth of family and the glowing companionship of close friends.

Most of us have access to great treasures. Treasures no amount of money can purchase. But we don't realise it. To me, simple pleasures lie in :

  • Having your grandfather buy you chocolates and all things sweet eventhough you've outgrown them years ago.
  • Learning how to lace your shoelaces because you did them wrongly the first time round. Laughing at your silliness, giggling and doing it wrong all over again.
  • Meeting friends whom you've not seen for a long while and letting those years you've been apart fade away as we catch up on each other's lives.
  • Reading a good book, listening to some soothing music and forgetting for a while that out there, the world's whirring madly and mercilessly.
  • Sitting down and having a cozy chat with family. Those who really care something for you.
  • Looking at old photos. Reminiscing on those times and knowing there are more to come.

There is more to this, but for now, I'm going off to indulge in the very pleasurable pastime of sinking deep into a book. To mingle and weld into the richness of the plot. Sometimes, little things do matter more than the 'bigger', more superficial things.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Yeah, I agree with you. We must not take things for granted or we'll regret it later on in life. Now that I can access to the internet, I am so glad I ccould catch up with the entries. Streamyx is evil sometimes.