Friday, April 28, 2006

Inspirational

For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” - Jeremiah 29:11

He calls himself the Hugging Machine. His infectious manner captivates an audience of diverse races and varying ages. He exudes charisma and is an inspiration to others. He's a living testimony of God's grace and mercy. He's an optimist, a fighter, a survivor. He rises above adversity and his secret weapon is his heart-warming smile and warm, loving character. He demonstrates a love and appreciation for life and never gives up. He's blonde, has nice eyes and sharp features. He, has no limbs.

Who is this guy who has been such an inspiration and an eye-opener to me? His name's Nick Vujicic and he's an Aussie. He was born with a birth defect, meaning he has no hands and no legs. What's heart-wrenching is the way he views and handles his disability. While others would have been cursing and questioning their fate, Nick takes it all in stride in a certainly brave manner. In the face of adversity, he found God. And now, he's giving talks and testifying how God turned his 'life without limbs into a life without limits'.

He must have come a long way in life. Seen much in his relatively young life. And done much more than an able-bodied person. The things he says often makes me feel so guilty and ungrateful in comparison. I quote " I see couples holding hands and I feel depressed because i will never be able to take my wife in my arms or hold my children to comfort them. How could i count it 'pure joy' being like this? Wouldn't it be great if a miracle happened and I was suddenly healed in front of your eyes? But you want to know the miracle God shows through my life?" He grins...and says " This is the miracle", referring to his ability to smile despite adversity.

This, my friends, is true courage. Bravery in the deepest sense. It takes nerves of steel to go through everyday like this. But one man did it. He did it with the help of God. He stands firm in his belief and he's among the top in the list of unsung heroes. From now one, I'll think of how blessed I am and count my blessings before I complain. People like him go through the thickest jungles, the driest deserts, the biggest storms and yet, they sing of praises to the Lord. What have I to go through in comparison? Nothing. I'm pampered, loved, and I have the gift of precious friendships. All which I value. It certainly is true how we disregard and take a lot of things for granted. I really take my cap off for people like Nick Vujicic. I feel much humbled and in awe. He clearly demonstrates the life of a person who walks closely with God. To make light of his disadvantages because he knows and believes that God has a bigger plan for him. And how right he is. His lifestory is one to applaud. His tenacity in overcoming obtacles is much admired. I believe his existence alone has changed the way people view life. He is the living proof that nothing is above God. That God is and will always be there to help us in life. It's only up to us to call upon Him.

Note: If you're interested to know more about Nick, buckle up for an inspiring ride to his website.

No comments: